Skip links

How do I receive special approval to sell before MOP?

Singapore Property Agent | Andik Imran | Real Estate Dad

All HDB homeowners are required to stay in their flat for at least 5 years.

During these 5 years, they are not allowed to sell their house, rent their whole house or even apply for a new BTO. This period is commonly known as the MOP or minimum occupation period.

You might have heard of your family members or friends who were able to sell their flats before the MOP. For these anomalies, they were given special approval to sell.

Do note that the waiver of the balance 5-year MOP is a major deviation from HDB’s policy.

Why do some homeowners request for the special approval to sell?

Some of the reasons are due to divorce cases, financial issues and etc.

The reasons must be supported with evidence and be submitted to your branch officer. The reasons must be strong enough to convince the branch officer to consider your appeal.

How do I find out who my branch officer is?

To find out who your branch officer is, you will just need to log in to your MyHDB page and go under “Purchase Flat Details”. Scroll down till the section “Contact us” and you will see your estate manager and executive name and contact info.

What else should I be aware of?

Getting a waiver of your MOP? Great! But one should also consider seller stamp duties that can incur when you are selling your properties. Those who bought their property between 14 January 2011 to 10 March 2017, the holding period is 4 years. If you sold your house before the first year, there is a 16% tax, 12% before the second year, 8% before the third year and 4% before the fourth year. After 10 March, the holding period is 3 years. The tax rate are 12%, 8% and 4% respectively.

So do your calculation first before you get too happy upon receiving the special approval to sell.

Again, I would like to remind homeowners that the special approval to sell is given only to genuine cases. Please, please don’t flood your branch officers requesting for a special approval after reading this article.

If you have any question or need help in property matters, do give me a call at 94508732. Here for you 24/7.

Andik Imran

Engage an agent who serves, not sells

ANDIK IMRAN | BSc Business
CEA Reg No: R061801F

9450 8732
PropNex Realty Pte Ltd

Leave a comment